Tuesday

18 Fructidor Year V


Today marks the beginning of a new government for us Frenchmen and I’m interested to see how it turns out.  A part of me is honestly glad, both because this could be my brother’s chance to finally get a position in the government and because change is sometimes good and our government wasn’t really working out.  There was still too much focus on violence and it seemed most of the time like too many people were trying to overthrow it, which made me fear a potential second revolution.  I’m lucky, as a man with my status, that I’ve lived this far, especially with my brother working so hard to insert himself into government. There have been times in the last few years where I’ve jumped whenever there was a knock at the door, fearing that it was someone who had come to take me away to an unjust trial where I am accused of being a traitor, solely because my little brother has passion for government and is always spending his time with interesting people that may or may not end up getting on the wrong side of the nation and losing their heads.  But, I digress; today our government will begin to change and most of it is thanks to Napoleon, the young general who I’ve mentioned in the past and feel as though he will do great things for our nation, for our France.  Today he aided the members of our new government, called the Directory, in their coup of the government and arrest of the dreaded Royalists.  I don’t like to present my political views as much with this writing hobby of mine, though I don’t do much else as my money has given me a good padding and opportunity to do little in life that is geared towards work.  My brother is the ambitious one who wants nothing more than to actually make a mark on history, though I’m honestly not sure that he will.  Tangent aside, I don’t present my political views for fear of another period of terror and heads rolling through the streets of Paris, but I do not side with the Royalists.  They are too conservative, I fear that they will want to bring back the monarchy and that will not end well.  I am glad that on this day I was alive to see a new government instituted in France and I can’t wait to see what this Napoleon will do.  I do hope to be able to meet him someday soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment