Saturday

13 Vendémiaire Year IV


It has been many years since I have last updated the public in my life and the ways in which the revolution in our dearest France is changing.  The Convention is doing its best to keep peace and today there was a battle in Paris.  My brother, a member in the Convention, has been relaying to me the events of today as they have happened, as he knows that I write about these things so that the public may know what is happening in France.  Apparently early this morning a group of Royalists gathered and began making advances through Paris, endangering the Convention and they called to fight a young general by the name of Napoleon.  I hear that he has had much military success and is tactically unmatched in battle, which boded well for him today.  I am glad that he was able to step up to defend our fragile government, for who knows what would have happened without him. If you haven’t yet heard, he and his men were successful in driving out the enemy and keeping both Paris and the Convention safe.  I can see him going very far in the world with the brains that he has and I would love to meet him in person someday.  Fortunately with my status that may be very plausible.  I do hope that his deeds today are recognized by the Convention, I would not be surprised if he becomes somewhat of a hero for us Frenchmen.  Though I am concerned that even though this threat has been ceased and we are now safe in our beds and our government is safe in theirs, there will be another terror like there was during the time of the cursed Robespierre.  It seems as though the poorer Frenchmen who call themselves the “sans-culottes” desire vengeance for wrongs that I do not understand and they desire this revenge solely in a violent manner.  Will our new government be strong enough to withstand this or will we see more people led to the guillotine that has sat clean for a while now, will blood once again stain the wooden platform?  I live in constant fear that we have not yet escaped the terror of those days, but I have hope, for I believe that as long as we have men like Napoleon to protect us, we will be safe from harm and terror as we once experienced.

No comments:

Post a Comment